Virtual Reality – Helping PTSD Patient

How do you think it feels to see your father under trauma especially when you haven’t seen him for a long time and you are at an age when you need his love and attention the most?

I personally haven’t experienced this but a close friend of mine spent most of her childhood without much of her dad’s attention because he had served in the army fighting wars and just couldn’t leave those moments of bloodshed behind.  He was traumatized and it was difficult for him to be the father he was set out to be because he was suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).



To give an end to this suffering, technology has something to offer….
Yes I am talking about the use of virtual reality in preventing and helping cure PTSD.

PTSD – Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

We all have internal fears towards some situations or environments based on our past experiences. But in some cases, this fear is so extreme that it haunts them in their day-to-day lives, creating mental stress of unbearable levels and changing their normal human behavior. This is called as PTSD. The characteristics of PTSD are intrusive thoughts and flashbacks, anger, isolation, emotional numbing, anxiety, depression, substance abuse, survivor guilt, hype, suicidal feelings and thoughts, alienation, negative self-image.

A few years back, doctors thought about the application of Virtual Reality to treat this disorder acclimatizing patients to the situations by exposing them to a series of imitated virtual situations to create a sense of mental adaptation. Although the therapy is still undergoing trials involving a few Vietnam War Veterans of the US Military, doctors have seen a significant reduction in symptoms of PTSD after just 13 exposures.  This is giving doctors a ray of hope in the direction of treating PTSD through Virtual Reality.

The current project is aimed at treating Iraq & Afghanistan war veterans where a game named “Full Spectrum Warrior” imitates cities and war environments customized to the individual needs of every patient.

Maybe you and I cannot relate to these technology advancement but it is my friend and many who have suffered from this trauma of their loved ones who will truly benefit from this technology.

I feel working on this technology is totally worth it as it makes the world a better place to live…. After all we have a responsibility to help the people who fight for us and have sleepless nights so that we can sleep in peace.





Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

3 comments:

  1. Thankew for such an intellectual information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jose Andrews is my name, Some people keep questioning God, asking him why he allowed Satan to put in the world deadly diseases, but they never know that anything happening in this life, is just for a particular reason. Here is my story on how I was cured of schizophrenia (Brain Disease) by a herbal doctor Uwadia Amneifo using his herbal mixture. Few months ago, I realized I had some problem with my system, and later on I begin to forget things easily. I complained to my doctor after his text he said just a little problem with me, but that soon I will be fine. He prescribed for me and I was taking medicine according to his prescription but my condition was getting worse instead of coming down. So I went back to my doctor after some time, he said am having issues with my brain, this continues gradually until it became worse and I was diagnosed of schizophrenia (Brain Disease) and this disease is same with SCJD. My doctor told me there is no cure to this disease that I have to live and die with it. It continued for one month and my system was almost shutting down before my cousin brother came to my house to visit and broke to us the news about a herbal doctor he heard about called doctor Uwadia Amenifo that cured some body of SCJD . So he explained how he heard about this herbal doctor uwadia Amenifo and the kind of terrible diseases this doctor have cured. His words were very impressing and I had to give the doctor a try. We made contact with him and he said he can cure me. So my cousin made all necessary arrangement with him, and he prepared herbs and send to me in USA. I took the herbs according to his prescription and behold to cut long story short his herbs works perfectly well, and cured me of my schizophrenia (Brain Disease). Today I am hale and healthy and evidence of my healthiness can been seen in this piece of note I wrote myself to tell the world about Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. Please if you know anyone suffering from brain disease, in a hurry contact Doctor Uwadia Amenifo on his email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com), and his cell no is +2349052015874. I wish all suffering from brain problem quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to say a big thanks to Doctor Andre Armstead of USA for helping me cure me of my Brain disease. Brothers and sisters, Nath Luth is my name and I live in Texas USA. Few years ago I had a car accident and my brain was affected I was rushed to the hospital the doctor did his check and said I don’t have any internal injury in my brain but just that I was emotionally fragmented and for that reason I lost memory of what happened. But sometimes I sleep at night and I see in dream how I got the accident. But when dawn if am asked how it happened, I can’t say it. It continued like that and I found myself very forgetful. Doctor gave me medicines like Diuretics, Anti-seizure drugs, Coma-inducing drugs, to some extents the drugs helped but later on it stop helping me and as a result of this, I was fully diagnosed of schizophrenia (Brain Disease). Doctor said my problem was same with a variety of brain disease like salience syndrome, Psychosis, susceptibility syndrome, Asperger's Syndrome, Lemierre syndrome, Stevens Johnson Syndrome, Steele-Richardson-Olszewski syndrome, vascular dementia, CJD, mad cow disease, PTSD, encephalitis, panic disorder, OCD, ADD and a lot more. So i and my family became very afraid because doctor said I would die with it. My Immediate younger brother is an ICT officer he is always on the internet. So he came home and said he read about a herbal doctor called Doctor Andre Armstead who have used his herbal medicine to cure so many people of various diseases. So he copied out the contact details of the Dr and he contacted him. He emailed him, and explained to him what I was passing through but Dr Andre promised him that he will cure me of my brain disease and I will be totally cured for life. So he made the arrangement with Dr Andre, and he prepared the herbs from Washington and shipped it to us in Texas. So I followed his instructions on how to take it and behold it worked for me just like a magic, and totally cured me of my long suffered brain disease, and today I am totally cured of my brain disease. Please if you are out there suffering from any kind of brain disease, or you know someone suffering from it, I urge you to contact Dr Andre immediately and get your cure. His contact details are (doctorandreaarmstead@gmail.com) and his phone number is +1 (617) 663-8926, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete